High Speed Rail: Where Is the Stimulus Money Going?
By Art Allen, Communications Assistant
You may have heard about the approximately $8 billion in the federal stimulus package dedicated exclusively for high speed rail. What you may not know is that only ten corridors are eligible for stimulus funding.
The 10 corridors are:
- California: San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego
- Pacific Northwest: Eugene, Portland, Tacoma, Seattle, Vancouver, B.C.
- South Central: Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Little Rock
- Gulf Coast Corridor: Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Birmingham, Atlanta
- Chicago Hub Network: Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis-St. Paul, St. Louis, Kansas City, Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville
- Florida: Orlando, Tampa, Miami
- Southeast: Washington, Richmond, Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Macon, Columbia, Savannah, Jacksonville
- Keystone: Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh
- Empire: New York, Albany, Buffalo
- Northern New England: Boston, Montreal, Portland, Springfield, New Haven, Albany
Here's a map: